For one of our major clients in the financial sector, we are looking for a System Design Engineer Senior.
This vacancy is situated on the Data and Services train in the “S2de - service to delivery and employee” direction. On this Safe train, a dedicated solution team for observability is positioned.
The team focuses on:
- Operations analytics through log & metrics collection and a logcollection platform based on Logstash and Apache Kafka.
- Application performance monitoring using both Dynatrace and Elastic APM.
The team is working following the GEO principles. This means we work from different locations (Gent, Mechelen, Brussel, Leuven, Hasselt, ...), teleworking and regular team days in the offices in Leuven.
As observability System Engineer, you take care of the engineering, integration and maintenance of the ELK and Kafka logcollection cluster.
You act as a sounding board for platform users, platform owners and platform architects, and through it influence the roadmap and strategy within the organization. Once the design is made and approved, you
ensure that the services are correctly deployed and maintained across the various quality environments, and that maintenance and support can be done by the team.
While the team works closely with various stakeholders, the members are expected to work in a high degree of autonomy. While this increases efficiency, it also requires knowing when to seek guidance, and learn more from the enterprise requirements (policies and standards) and processes. Self-direction and self-reflection are vital skills to have.
Core is the integration of the platform in an enterprise context. As such, you will come in contact with all other infrastructural services and components, many proprietary and centrally managed by other teams.
- Troubleshooting will be a significant part of the workload, so you have an analytical mindset to decompose complex problems and move on to simple, straight-forward solutions.
- You dare to challenge previous decisions. As you challenge decisions from the past and different alternatives, so you will be challenged on your designs and suggestions.
- Considering that the engineering is done in team, and using services from other teams, collaboration is key.
We are fully aware that the required set of technical skills are hard to find. We'll make sure you get hands-on training, eager to learn and the right skillset will be more important!
You have knowledge of the following infrastructure technologies or services
- Linux (RHEL 7, 8)
- Scripting languages (Perl, Python and Bash)
Engineering experience with the following technologies:
- Apache Kafka
Knowledge of the following technologies or services in an enterprise context is a plus:
- Monitoring and Event Handling
- Application Performance Management
- Web application servers (Apache/Tomcat/JBoss, IIS, NGINX)
- Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity
- Public cloud services (Azure /AWS)
- A challenging position in a fast growing company with an international presence.
- A stimulating working environment with a really good team spirit maintained by lots of internal events (teambuilding, ...).
- A dynamic culture focused on personal development.
- A wide range of training and career development opportunities.