The Solution Architect is responsible for the conversion of the complete business demand for his/her domain into a fit for purpose technology & solution architecture supporting the business and IT strategy, policies and it objectives, including cross-domain integrations. This in very close collaboration with the business, other BU's, Enterprise Architecture and Business Engagement Management to ensure E2E coverage & qualitative intake at all levels (business, application, data, and technology architecture).
Operating Environment (For example purpose of the entity in which the jobholder acts, strategy, plan, specific policy, economic model and/or performance model on which the job has an influence, guidelines which a direct impact on the job) :
EDF Luminus' IT organization should accelerate its transition towards a more strategic business contribution role and step away from a predominating focus on the delivery of technology services.
IT within EDF Luminus needs to look forward on the next evolution, taking into account value, efficiency and effectiveness.
The priorities for IT
- Create a strong shared vision on future I.T
- Increase Business & IT alignment
- Increase the financial efficiency / Affordable IT
- Keep the excellence in the "Run" / delivery of technology services
- Talent : Attract Retain, Foster & Nurture !
Framework & Boundaries - Main challenges and complexity elements (for example main problems the job must deal with, main difficulties, obstacles, conflicts, risks job faces)
- EDF Luminus is a major player in the utility market. This market is evolving from a commodity market to a service market, has seen the introduction of decentralized production, flexible resources and increased demands from regulators and TSO's. Both digitalization and innovate services are required on the level of the energy production, distribution and optimization departments. This makes our activity very challenging both on business and IT services.
- To accommodate this fast changing world EDF Luminus IT has organized its delivery in a bimodal way where on the one hand changes are delivered directly by BizDevOps teams organized in Release Trains (i.e. the teams work according to a scaled Agile framework) and on the other hand through Big Projects which are managed by project managers.
- The last years some important investments were done to standardize our IT platforms. Nevertheless we still have some IT debt coming from our EDFL history.
- EDFL has a multi technological environment where besides applications also topics like infrastructure, database, security and impact on operations needs to be taken into account
- The core applications used are SAP and Salesforce.com in Retail and B2B area, Aligne in the Optimization & Risk area and SAP in the finance & HR area. Interconnection happens by an ESB/API Hybrid communication platform, reporting & analysis via a central BI foundation.
- More specifically for this role, it's important to understand that the Optimization department has as mission to preserve at all times the balance of the gas and electricity portfolios to optimize the value of our assets while keeping the cost for our clients as low as possible
- The optimization landscape is heavily changing with the introduction of decentralized production, flexible resources and increased demands from regulators and TSO's
- The aim is to reduce operational business cost. We are in a face to replace legacy applications by new COTS applications. This will require complex integration to existing landscape and also includes the implementation of a new Operational Data Store and Data Management System. The current IT infrastructure, which is becoming obsolete, is a mixture of applications (homemade and COTS) and technologies (excel/access, .NET, Java, APEX, Delphi, VB6) and strong interfacing (DLL, Web services, ODBC, FTP, SFTP, file transfer).
Principal Accountabilities (the outputs of the job) - Activities et decisions
- Supports the Enterprise Architect in defining EDF Luminus IT architecture strategies for his/her domain based on medium to long term needs, best practices in the market, and Edf Group guidelines;
- Supports the Enterprise Architect and Infrastructure Architect in validating delivery choices and ensures compliance of projects/applications in his/her domain with overall architecture guidelines;
- Supports Business Engagement Management during intake of demand for proper solution scoping, phasing, planning and budgeting;
- Converts the complete business demand for his/her domain into a fit for purpose technology & solution architecture supporting the business and IT strategy and it objectives, including cross-domain integrations (including data architecture).
- Is accountable for defining & maintaining an up to date Service catalogue for his/her domain aligned with other domains within or across the Optimisation and Generation domain and with Enterprise Architecture
- Is accountable for ensuring a continuous cross BU alignment on the solution design
- Maintains an up to date E2E understanding of the business processes within his/her domain
- Assess the impact of business process change requests on the existing architecture and support the prioritization of these changes;
- Formulates propositions for functional / technical solution improvements (including data & integration topics)
- Provides guidance and support on projects ensuring adherence to the target architecture standards;
- Provides expert advices within his/her domain and advise stakeholders on how to best align business processes within this domain (including data & integration topics).
- Performs the design authority role in his/her domain on projects ensuring the detailed designs and solutions remain aligned to the defined architecture, managing and resolving any issues as they arise
- Works with external and internal suppliers to drive them and ensure that the appropriate technology direction is clear & followed
- Formulates the architectural LifeCycle and improvements for his/her domain by keeping a watchful eye on technological and methodological evolutions in his/her domain and introduce these evolutions at the right time within EDF Luminus;
- Defines the architectural principles, IT & security policies and guidelines for his/her domain
- Ensures correct and up-to-date application architecture artefacts and BluePrints;
- Supports Solution Designers in their effort & time estimates required for solution design, configuration, implementation, unit/integration testing & own development if required
- Understands very well the TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) drivers and contributes to keep their evolution under control;
- Does knowledge transfer of solution specifics and changes towards all impacted teams
- Is able to explain complex technical solutions in plain English and French or Dutch to your business management allowing them to evaluate options and take the right decisions (pragmatic, affordable & when required MVP).
- Is experienced in using EA frameworks (TOGAF, ZACHMAN, etc.), certification is an asset.
- Has strong listening, communication, facilitation, influencing and analytical skills.
- Is able to transform & explain theoretical concepts into pragmatic and working solutions
- Is able to identify opportunities, threats, impact of changing technology.
- The ideal candidate holds a master degree in exact sciences (preferably in IT) or has attained comparable level through relevant experience;
- Has a proven track record of working on successful solution architecture designs and their implementation;
- Has a background utility business (optimization / trading domain) is a plus and sufficient technical and programming affinity to correctly evaluate migration, trials and development strategies.
- Worked at least 5 years in a similar environment of which at least 3 years in an architecture role.