Context of the job
This position belongs to the Radio Design and Optimization team.
The Radio Design and Optimisation Engineer is responsible for the Quality of the Radio Access Network in its region. He or she ensures that the Network performance, on regional level, meets or exceeds the pre-defined Kpi's, manages capacity by proposing upgrades and new sites or changes (antenna, parameters, features) to the Network with the aim of improving the Network performance.
The Radio Design and Optimisation Engineer is also responsible for the validation of new site candidates and manages coverage and capacity related issues.
To master the Quality of Service (Qos) of our Radio Network and the trade off of Qos improvement vs cost efficiency vs capacity management.
- Making use of the business expectations/requirements before doing business
- Setting up the right internal expectations for projects and plans based on a clear understanding of the company's current capabilities and ultimate business objectives.
- Managing Network quality and lead own technical projects
- Ensures the Quality of Service of our Radio Network and manage coverage and capacity at regional level while maximizing the cost efficiency.
- Validate the best candidate for a new site and provide the required Rf settings (azimuth, tilt, antenna type, needed capacity) with the help of a Radio planning tool.
- Provide the frequencies and Radio parameters for sites and capacity upgrades which are ready to be integrated in the Network.
- Analyze the site integration drive tests for all new sites that come on air to make sure that they are perfectly integrated in the Network and perform as expected. Validate the acceptance of new sites: monitor the performance of integrated sites to identify possible Network problems and recommend changes. Optimize Radio parameters and antenna configurations to maximize Network performance
- Contribute to projects (introduction of new features, Hardware, software release, all areas,...) and lead own projects to increase the Network quality in its region..
- Frequency planning: Assign frequencies for new sites and Trx extensions. Make on regular basis regional retunes to optimize the current frequency plan.
- Liaise with vendors and service providers
- Being in contact with operational partner, who implements Radio Optimisation requests
- Follow up on the delivered quality of outsourced activities.
- Lead the out tasked services in relation with Radio optimisation.
- Participate in negotiations with service providers or suppliers, evaluate Rfqs
- Coaching team members
- Ensuring good communication within the Radio Network Engineering and the Radio Design and Optimisation team, building up team spirit, encouraging positive ideas and suggestions to optimise teamwork.
- Financial responsibility
- Providing cost-benefit analysis on requested site upgrades, optimisation works, Mobile Truck or new sites.
- Validating the use of power generators or high connection cost for new site candidates.
- Required education level
- Civil or Industrial Engineering in telecommunications with experience in Radio (preferable optimisation).
- Required previous professional experience
- At least 3 years relevant technical experience (Radio optimisation and/or Rf design) with knowledge of Gsm and/or Umts systems and subsystems. (Base Radio supplier parameter knowledge is an asset)
- Basic financial skills (Roi, etc)
- Good knowledge of Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access
- Knowledge of Remedy, Asset, Metrica, Bo is an asset.
- Required technical & professional skills
- Organisational awareness: understands the formal structure of Base, its culture and business/technology environment, understands Base brand and people values.
- Technical and Professional Expertise: understands the Base Radio guidelines and has an excellent technical knowledge of Gsm and/or Umts (Radio optimisation and Rf design) ; works with Office tools and post processing tools in order to analyse drive tests.
- Planning and Organisation: orchestrates and implement clear, efficient and logical approach to work and manages assignments and objectives. · Analytical thinking and problem solving: identifies problems and tackles them in a logical, step-by-step way; critically and accurately assesses the chances of success in concluding a specific agreement.
- Technical/Business insight and judgement: makes well-reasoned decisions on the spot, focuses on the bottom line, and understands the impact of all actions on Network roll-out, quality and capacity.
- Required personal skills & communication skills
- Results orientation: focuses on targets, quality and deadlines.
- Initiative and pro-activity: acts quickly and decisively to seize the moment, prepares for the predictable, thinking through all possible scenarios
- Flexibility and adaptability: maintains effectiveness in a changing environment and within a variety of dynamic work situations; adapts his/her own work schedule to site owner availability, works with different colleagues and external contacts. Is willing to accept temporarily another time schedule when the work requires IT.
- Resilience: maintains control and performance in stressful situations; stays calm when problems arise, avoids letting day-to-day pressure get him/her down, does not take rejection personally, stays positive, puts problems behind once solved.
- Integrity: abides by business conduct guidelines and ethics; deals appropriately with confidential data.
- Self-development: appraises own strengths and weaknesses; has the willingness to develop his/her own skills, knowledge and behaviour through on-the-job experiences and feedback from others. Organizes himself and can work independently
- Customer focus: responds actively and sensitively to Operator's requirements; understands their needs and priorities.
- Interpersonal skills: understands attitudes, interests, perspectives, needs of others; is persuasive and assertive towards others; has the ability to bring others round to one's own point of view and to gain acceptance; Positive attitude, resistance to stress and can take a high workload
- Team work and co-operation: builds effective, co-operative relationships with colleagues committed to organisational goals; values input and expertise of colleagues; builds up positive team climate, shows a mature attitude; deals with diversity.
- Communication skills: communicates in appropriate, clear and concise terms, checks for understanding while communicating; is structured and gives accurate and logical information in written reports, fluently speaks, reads and writes English (internal Base).