Analysis, design and development of long-term software solutions for various offices in the three U.S. Missions (Bilateral Embassy, U.S. Mission to the EU, U.S. Mission to NATO). Identification and correction of problems and errors in the use of software, both locally developed and from other sources. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Assessment of workflow and analysis of business process: Determines workflow by interviewing users, analyzes business process to determine suitability for automation or database applicability. Develops a project plan that includes flow charts, cost estimates, time, and equipment requirements, cost/benefit analysis of alternative approaches.
- Designs/develops/modifies applications and databases: Designs and builds software which captures and stores data, provides reporting and dashboard capabilities, defines user/group roles, validates users/data using secure authentication methods, and meets organizational standards. Models the program or database to insure that datasets/groupings are according to specifications, tables and indices are complete, all executables are in accordance to recognized standards and meet Department of State's security requirements. Monitors/identifies system constraints, monitors system performance, tests software prior to release, corrects any identified problems, and writes documentation for both users and technical compliance offices to describe the structure, security protocols used, and database and system constraints.
- Modifies existing databases and applications based on changes in business process, local regulations or new Department of State requirements, upgrades to software or Hardware and revisions to interdependent databases and programs necessitating modification. This may entail building front-end interfaces with other established programs and working with staff of other U.S. embassies and headquarters offices in Washington.
- Determines the best platform and user interface for an application based on business needs and established standards. Works as part of a team of developers and managers to create or update the application to meet expectations.
- Training: Trains subject matter users in the use of applications and provides Help Desk support regarding the database, correcting problems, or providing workarounds as necessary.
- Experience: Five years of progressively increasing experience in the field of software development.
- Language: Fluency in English; a good working knowledge of French or Dutch.