Scala Software Developer
- The Content Competency Center, which spans several teams in different offices across Europe, is responsible for all content editing, gathering and distributing systems within the group, and currently has an opening in the team based in Zwijnaarde (Gent), Belgium.
- Do things like eventsourcing, CQRS, functional programming, NoSQL databases and TDD pique your interest?
- This Agile team has been an early adopter of several cutting-edge technologies, and has gained significant experience in building robust, horizontally scaling systems that can bear the brunt of our daily traffic while maintaining low latency.
- We're leveraging eventsourcing and CQRS principles, and have turned to Scala and akka for a more functional approach to development.
- All code gets tested and peer-reviewed, and is automatically deployed through our CD stack.
As a part of this team, you would
- Investigate, analyse, code, test and document new features throughout the whole development cycle.
- Debug and fix issues in live systems.
- Actively take part in all of the team's standup, grooming, sprint planning and retrospective sessions.
- Work on both new and existing international projects within the Group.
- Occasionally travel to other offices within Europe.
The profile we have in mind for this role is someone who
- Has a minimum of 5 years experience in Java development and 1 year in Scala development.
- Has experience with CQRS, eventsourcing, and actor-based systems.
- Knows how to start investigating an application that misbehaves.
- Has an interest in open source projects. We depend on a lot of open source code and applications, such as Akka, Apache Cassandra, Elasticsearch, RabbitMQ, Titan, and so on.
- Knows what a good test looks like, and why TDD is a good idea.
- Has spent some time on Unix/Linux based systems. All our infrastructure is Linux based, so knowing your way around Linux is a plus.
- Can clearly express themselves in English, both spoken and written.
- Does not object to occasional short trips to other offices within Europe.