The monitoring engineer has responsibility for creation and refinement of; monitoring policies, processes, procedures for application, system software and infrastructure monitoring. He's responsible for monitoring systems and infrastructure. Work in cooperation with Technical teams ensuring that monitoring capabilities are in line with needs.
- Monitor systems, software, applications
- Troubleshoot problems
- Track all issues
- Report, manage, escalate incidents
- Monitors Systems/applications performance and troubleshoots problem areas as needed
- Maintain tickets and documentation
- Write scripts, SQL queries, new checks in scope of monitoring or problem solving
- Solve issue where applicable
Autonomous Decision Making Authority
- Day-to-Day monitoring using tooling, in case of problem, either solve or route those into the technical team (escalation)
- Create new checks, scripts to improve visibility
- Decide about severity of incidents
Result Area 1:
Proactive monitoring assuring fast and reliable incident handling with proper visibility and follow up.
Result Area 2:
Improve monitoring by interfacing various source of alerts.
Result Area 3:
Route, track problems and make sure that correct actions have been taken in order to resolve problems
Result Area 4:
Work closely with development and support groups to define new monitoring needs.
Exchange of information: Heads of Departments, Managers, Staff
Negotiations with: Managers, Staff
Exchange of information: Data centre provider (CEGEKA) , other providers (Storage, network etc...)
Negotiations with: n/a
Knowledge and experience: Service Management techniques/methodologies (desirable) ITIL
Experience with Monitoring, Incinga, Nagios and Zenoss are a Plus
Knowledge of Jira & Confluence, used to write documentation (tickets, Wiki)
Familiarity with Oracle SQL.
Able to run queries against a database and incorporate such queries into a script.
Degree in computer science or equivalent
Excellent documentation skills
Essential: Good communicator; “can do” approach; determined; understand other issue, can listen and learn from others
Desirable: self-learning and keen to learn new technical domains
- Excellent communication
- Excellent analysis and troubleshooting skills of complex technical systems.
- Excellent command of spoken/written English
- Used to work in a Java application landscape (JDK, Tomcat)
- Strong scripting and understanding of sysadmins activities (Bash, Perl ...)
- Minimum. 3 years in system management in a Linux environment
- Linux System Engineer