The Senior Systems Engineer is expected to serve as a Senior level technical team member related to systems engineering and project execution. This involves implementing, supporting, and maintaining the different platforms and applications within the enterprise.
Responsibility includes installation, configuration, technical administration, tuning, and monitoring of the Linux systems environments. Senior Systems Engineer is required to provide guidance and coaching to peers within IT and the business channels. Additionally working with other IT infrastructure teams and business partners such as application development, architecture and enterprise data is a crucial part of this role. Responsibility also includes working with project teams on environmental needs, migration, support, and development activities.
- Engineer platform solutions based on RHEL/CentOS
- Senior level Support of Linux applications and systems
- Restoration of service on systems issues and proactive root cause analysis
- Develop automated installation kits for OS and Application layer products with tools like Puppet (or alternatives), Spacewalk, monitoring tools
- Prepare effective configuration, installation and operational documentation
- Assume role of SME on any business systems and product infrastructure as assigned
- Maintain existing KVM infrastructure and manage its migration towards new VMware infrastructure
- Install server operating system software, front-end and back-end server components, and production application services according to defined requirements and data center operations standards
- Engineer and build both customer-facing production systems and Dev and QA systems
- Develop and maintain documentation including server build docs, configuration standards, infrastructure, architecture, etc.
- Assist in creating infrastructure roadmaps, architecture diagrams, dependency diagrams, etc.
- Assist in projects for Hardware/software deployments and modifications involving the production environment
- Responsible for gathering relevant data to determine system capacity needs and making plans for capacity expansions in a proactive manner (capacity management)
- Serves as a point of escalation for performance problems
- Researches new methods for enhancing performance and shares findings with engineering team
- System level understanding of security and governance requirements to acquire PCI compliancy
- OS: Linux (RHEL/CentOS)
- Virtualization solutions: VMware/KVM
- Hardware: HP/Dell
- System administration of RHEL-based Linux systems (rpm, errata, troubleshooting).
- Knowledge of server management via Spacewalk
- Virtualization systems such as VMware, KVM.
- Common scripting languages such as Bash, Perl, Python.
- Configuration management basics (knowledge of ansible, puppet and/or fabric is a plus).
- Basic SQL knowledge (Oracle/MySQL database administration skills are a plus).
- Distributed Version Control and source code management with GIT/SVN.
- Understanding of Firewalls and load balancers (knowledge of ipvs, keepalived, haproxy is a plus)
- Security maintenance and integrity of directories, files, and data stored electronically (Afick, Samhain)
- Troubleshooting with advanced research skills for finding answers to specific questions and issues.
- Excellent in system administration, Web server configuration, monitoring, trending and high availability systems
- Being an international organization, a good understanding and use of English is mandatory (read/write/speech)